Is Apple Cider Vinegar Good for Arthritis?
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Good for Arthritis? Yes, the apple cider vinegar has proved to be good for the treatment of arthritis.
Since the olden times, apple cider vinegar has been an important ingredient of various home remedies. Many people use apple cider vinegar for their inflammatory properties to treat a wide range of problems, from nausea to skin issues. Even some people have found it useful for treating their arthritis symptoms even though there is not enough research to support any link between the two. Some people have reported that they found alleviation in their symptoms of arthritis while using apple cider vinegar.
Arthritis is a chronic disease. There is neither any permanent nor complete cure to this illness. Medications alone are not sufficient for treatment; the patients are required to adopt multiple approaches to manage their symptoms. These involve medication, diet, natural remedies, physical and mental activities, and an overall lifestyle change. Natural apple cider vinegar is obtained by the fermentation from crushed apples, which makes it unique from other refined kinds of vinegar. It has a pH of around 3, making it mildly acidic. Like other vinegar, it is a diluted form of acetic acid with some particles suspended called “the mother,” which contains enzymes, pectin, and small amounts of minerals.
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis means inflammation in joints. This condition is characterized by severe pain, stiffness, and swelling in or around the joint areas. But it’s not that simple. The term arthritis refers to about 200 conditions affecting joints, the tissues surrounding the joints, and connective tissues. Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis. Other types include gout, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, lupus, and fibromyalgia. Arthritis could be an outcome of any injury, genetic makeup, abnormal metabolism, any infection, or immune system dysfunction. It could be anywhere as in fingers, hands, knees, foot, hip, and jaw.
Treatment of Arthritis
Treatment involves medications, physical therapy, joint-friendly physical activities, splints, weight loss, or surgery when it becomes crucial. The purpose of the treatment is to reduce joint damage, minimize pain, and improve or maintain quality of life. Along with certain lifestyle changes, people try alternative natural home remedies. Some of these remedies for arthritis have yielded good outcomes in treating the symptoms of arthritis.
How is Apple Cider Vinegar Good for Arthritis?
Some people claim that drinking a small amount of apple cider vinegar can help with symptoms of arthritis. Here is how apple cider vinegar could help treat the symptoms of arthritis.
Inflammation is the primary reason for pain, swelling, and joint damage, especially in rheumatoid arthritis, as compared to the other forms. Generally, doctors recommend medication that is anti-inflammatory as non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs). Another strategy is to include such items in your diet to reduce inflammation. People who advocate using apple cider vinegar, strongly suggest that due to its anti-inflammatory property, it can alleviate the symptoms of arthritis in a way just as any medication can do.
Pectin is a kind of starch called heteropolysaccharide. It is found naturally in the cell walls of vegetables and fruit, giving them structure. Pectin is low in fat and a rich source of fiber and calcium. Apple cider vinegar contains the appropriate amount of pectin. Some people assume that pectin can absorb specific toxins in the body that have accumulated and contributed to their arthritis symptoms.
ACV and Weight loss
Guess what could be the worst thing for your joints? Imagine yourself in place of your bones and joints carrying those extra kilos of fat all the time. Now you got it right. You cannot regard obesity as one of the significant causes of arthritis, but it can worsen arthritis symptoms. People with arthritis could find relief in their symptoms by maintaining a good BMI, as this reduces the pressure on their joints. Apple cider vinegar acts as a superb natural remedy to lose weight. Some researchers have suggested that apple cider vinegar can help control blood glucose levels and trigger your journey of weight loss.
ACV is rich in minerals
Mineral deficiencies in your body may make joint pain worse. Apple Cider Vinegar contains calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus, though in small amounts, but acts as a supplement and reduces pain. Magnesium helps the bones to absorb calcium, which increases bone power. Apple cider vinegar is also rich in antioxidants, beta-carotene, and acetic acid. Antioxidants reverse the damaging effects of free radicals and prevent the cell.
Damage in arthritis. Mostly, arthritis pain is the consequence of metabolic waste stored in connective tissues. The fluids like pectin, acetic acid, and malic acid in apple cider vinegar flush these toxins out of your body. When consumed regularly, apple cider vinegar reduces the stiffness of arthritis by dissolving the acid crystals accumulated in the joints.
After consumption, apple cider vinegar leaves behind an alkaline residue that
helps to balance the body’s ph.
In case you want to avoid consuming apple cider vinegar orally, you may also apply it topically on your skin for pain relief. Swab a cotton ball, apply it on the affected area. If you find it harsh on your skin, mix a few drops of coconut or olive oil and massage gently. Some people find it useful, adding it to their bath before going to bed. A simple method is to add a cup of apple cider vinegar to your bathroom and sit in for about 20 to 30 minutes. It will help in reducing bedtime stiffness and swelling.
The Potential Risks for Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar
Despite the unclear benefits of apple cider vinegar, it is relatively safe
to drink. However, it is very acidic in nature, so it is preferred to dilute it with water before consuming or adding honey to sweeten it. It may interact with specific medications, such as diabetes medications. Its potential side effects include digestive issues, erosion of tooth enamel, throat irritation, and skin problems. As a safe side, it is always appropriate to talk to your doctor before including it in your diet.
The Best Diet for Arthritis Patients
Here is the list of food products that boost your immunity enabling your body
to fight inflammation.
- Fish like tuna, salmon, and mackerel, these are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Beans such as soybean, kidney beans, red beans, are an excellent source of
Protein, folic acid, iron, magnesium, zinc are foods for muscles.
- Natural oils like extra virgin olive oil, safflower oil, and avocado oil.
- Fruit that is rich in anthocyanin (a type of flavonoid with anti-inflammatory and
Antioxidant effect) like cherries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries.
- Dairy includes milk, cheese, and butter that yield calcium and vitamin.
- Leafy green vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, moringa are the best food.
- Green tea contains an antioxidant called epigallocatechin-3-gallate. This component hinders the growth of molecules responsible for joint damage.
- Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, lime, and grapefruit help prevent arthritis by maintaining a sufficient supply of vitamin C.
- The whole-grain food that includes unrefined cereals, brown rice, and oatmeal is preferable.
- Nuts like almonds, walnuts, pistachios are packed with vitamin E,
protein, calcium, and magnesium.
Some tips for managing arthritis pain
Most significantly, identify your type of arthritis. It is difficult for a layperson to differentiate between the symptoms of various types of arthritis.
- Do not avoid movements. Gentle, mild, and regular changes will keep your joints in excellent functional condition.
- Avoid physical overexertion.
- In case you are overweight, it could make your symptoms even more miserable. So be vigilant about the direction your weight is moving.
- Consult a physical therapist for choosing the right exercises for your body.
- Avoid high impact exercise that includes repetitive movement as jumping and running.
- You can topically apply a cream that contains capsaicin, a compound found in peppers known for its pain-relieving quality.
- Avoid smoking; the toxins present in smoke may cause problems in joints.
- Arthritis makes everyday activities difficult for you, leaving an adverse impact on your mood. Depression could be a possible consequence. You can manage your condition by adopting various therapies and strategies.
- Relaxation therapy may include meditation, deep breathing, yoga, or any similar activity of your choice.
- Acupuncture (a traditional Chinese medicine method of inserting needles) is an effective technique for treating pain. However, for this, you have to search for an authentic, expert practitioner.
- Massage is another commonly used strategy, effective for reducing pain and stiffness in muscles.
In short, ACV is a natural ailment for many disorders however, there is no authentic scientific research on the usage of apple cider vinegar in the treatment of arthritis. The information drawn from the accounts given by people shows that the apple cider vinegar helped them get relief from symptoms of arthritis. Directly or indirectly ACV can be quite accommodating for the patients. In addition to that, there are no harmful effects if you take a small quantity of 1 to 2 teaspoons diluted in water and do not forget to consult your doctor to avoid any possible side effects.