Health Benefits of Sardines
What are the health benefits of sardine? Although small in size, sardine is a big name in the seafood industry due to its presence for centuries. They are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, calcium, and protein. Consequently, it provides numerous health benefits and is considered one of the healthiest foods on the planet. Not only are they rich in nutrients, but they are also very cost-effective. Here, we will explain the best health benefits of sardines.
Sardine is loaded with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, which make it beneficial for health. Sardine is abundant in omega-3 fatty acids that can prevent heart diseases due to their anti-inflammatory properties. Besides, sardine is rich in protein necessary for your body to build muscles and healthy bones.
Let’s have a look at the nutritional facts of sardine:
3.20 OZ or 90.72 grams of Sardines, contains 188.69 calories
Has 59% water percentage
Source of 22.33 g of protein
0 grams of carbs
Contains 10.39 g fat
0 grams of sugar
0 grams of fiber
Vitamins and Minerals:
Sardines are an excellent source of vitamin B12, improving the cardiovascular system, and providing energy. Moreover, it also contains calcium, making it a good source of calcium to lactose intolerance.
- Vitamin B3
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
Health Benefits of Sardines
Below are the 8 best health benefits of sardine:
Protect Cognitive Function:
Sardine is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acid; therefore, it is known to lower cognitive decline. Moreover, its increased oxidative stress can prevent numerous brain disorders like Alzheimer's disease, dementia, strokes, autism, and Parkinson's disease. Besides, DHA, a kind of omega-3 fatty acid, can help to sharpen memory. Apart from reducing cognitive decline, it can also help to improve mood and reduce anxiety and depression. Therefore, you should consume sardine twice a week.
We have already mentioned above that sardines are rich in proteins. Therefore, they are extremely helpful in building muscles. Sardine fulfills all amino acid needs in your body that are required to build strength. Moreover, it can also help to reduce Age-related muscular degeneration (AMD). For those who work out, sardine helps to provide your muscles with a steady stream of calories to finish your reps. Researches show that consumption of omega-3 fatty acid can significantly reduce the risk of dry eye.
Promotes Heart Health:
This is, by far, one of the most widely accepted and known benefits of consuming sardine. The presence of omega-3 fatty acids in a sardine can improve your heart health in numerous ways. It can help to reduce bad cholesterol and enhances the amount of good cholesterol. Moreover, it can lower blood pressure and prevent abnormal heart rhythms. Besides, the presence of EPA and DHA can lower triglycerides in the blood. Presence if Vitamin B12 in sardine improves overall heart health and reduces the risk of heart-related problems.
Build Strong Bones:
Sardines are rich in both calcium and Vitamin D, both required for building bones and bone strength. Therefore, consuming sardine can play an essential role in bone health. Vitamin D can help to increase the absorption of calcium. Accordingly, researchers suggest that adults should aim for at least 100 mg of calcium per day. Therefore, when you consume 3 ounces of sardine, it can fulfill 32 percent of your calcium's daily value. So the regular intake of sardine is associated with building stronger bones.
Improves Skin Health:
Seafood is always famous for its exceptional properties to improve skin health. It's a dream of everyone to have healthy and glowing skin. However, with time our skin shows signs of aging. Consequently, people spent a lot of money to get perfect skin without defects. However, still, people are unable to fulfill their expectations to hide the adverse effects. How about switching to consuming sardine. It can help to improve skin condition in the most natural way. And it can help you to look younger and more beautiful.
The massive and undeniable benefit of sardine is its ability to improve immunity. It is an ideal way to foster immunity. Your immunity plays quite an important role in protecting your angst diseases. Therefore, sardine can help to improve your overall health. Keep in mind that any damage to immunity can result in adverse health effects. Sardine oil can boost the number of immune cells, thus making it a good food for immunity.
Support Healthy Pregnancy:
Sardine contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for a healthy pregnancy. It is great for the baby's brain and vision development. Therefore, at a childbearing age, women should consume sardine at least 2 to 3 times a week. Moreover, one of the biggest concerns of any fish is mercury, especially if you have a selenium deficiency. However, it has less mercury when it comes to sardine, which makes it an excellent choice. But it is always better to talk to your doctor first as to what to eat during pregnancy.
Another health benefit of sardine is its anti-inflammatory properties. Due to the presence of EPA and DHA it can reduce inflammation and protect against numerous inflammatory diseases. Besides, it can also provide joint support against inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, gout, etc. Frequent consumption of sardine can reduce joint pain and inflammation.
Recommended Daily Intake
Sardine is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and proteins. Therefore, nutritionist agrees that it should be a part of your diet. According to research, you should add 2 to 3 servings of sardine in your diet each week. Moreover, make sure that each serving is about 150 grams. Although plant-based omega-3 is an alternative to marine omega-3, they cannot beat fish-based omega-3 when it comes to their nutritional facts and health benefits.
The Best way to Consume
Sardine is one of the most versatile foods. Consequently, it can be consumed in numerous ways. However, in case you are using canned sardine, make sure that they are rinsed properly under cold water. On the other hand, fresh sardines should be gutted first and then rinsed. There are numerous ways to consume sardines. These include:
- Simply using Greek salads with sardines
- Drizzled olive oil and simply grilled fresh sardines
- You can also make a quick sardine curry
- Add sardine to pasta or omelet or served them with crackers
- They can also be consumed in combination with onion, olive, and fennel.
- You can also bake them with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Try sardines with mayonnaise and hot sauce.
How to Buy Sardines
It is extremely important to learn about buying tips for sardines, especially when you are looking for fresh sardines.
- Always try to buy sardines from a fresh market to make sure that they are fresh. Factors like firm texture, fresh smell, shiny skin, and clear eyes are an indication of a fresh sardine.
- In case of canned sardines but those that are packed in water, tomato sauce, or mustard instead of oils.
- When sardines are packed in the water, they taste and smell less fishy in contrast to other storage methods.
- Fresh sardines are available in whole, steak, and fillet. Moreover, they are also available in canned or smoked form.
How to Store Sardines
Below are important storage tips for sardines:
- After buying a fresh sardine, rinse them with cold water and store them in a sealed container.
- Store sardine at a cold temperature between 28 and 32 F.
- Wash your hands and all utensils used for raw sardines.
- Although fresh sardine can last for 4 to 5 days, it is still best to eat them within two days.
- However, for canned sardines they can last longer and should be consumed before the expiry date.
- For unused canned sardines, store it in a refrigerator.
There is no doubt that sardines are one of the healthiest food, and they are loaded with nutrients and vitamins. However, apart from its excellent health benefits, it contains specific side effects as well.
- Those who are suffering from gout should not consume sardine because it can be dangerous for them. Sardines contain a high percentage of purines, which can increase the uric acid level. Therefore, high uric acid can affect kidneys.
- Moreover, sardine can also result in allergies due to its organic content. These allergies include intestinal muscle narrowing, dizziness, and high blood pressure, thinning of arteries, dizziness, asthma, increased heart rate, and headaches.
- Sardine contains a high percentage of sodium compounds. Therefore, increased consumption of sardine can result in stroke, kidney problems, and high blood pressure.
Sardines are popular seafood consumed widely and are referred to as the best fishes to consume along with herring and mackerel. Due to its nutrient-rich content and the presence of a large amount of omega-3 fatty acids, it provides numerous health benefits. However, it is always better to consume fresh sardine within two days. If you are allergic, don't consume sardine.