Can You Lose Weight With Intermittent Fasting?
Posted by Wen Dan Jiang on
Can You Lose Weight With Intermittent Fasting?
Can you lose weight with Intermittent Fasting? The answer to this question is yes. It is one of the most popular methods of shedding weight nowadays. The desire for weight loss is common these days. And people are using several ways to get this desire done. Mostly only those methods are famous that help to lose weight fast. And fasting is considered among these fast ways to reduce weight.
What is meant by Intermittent Fasting?
In this method of weight loss, you have no restriction over the food. Instead, in this method, people are advised for when to eat. It means that this method will provide you a schedule of eating instead of giving a list of what to eat and what not to eat. A set of intervals programs each intake of food. Normally, nutritionists suggest having a break of six to eight hours between one intake of food to another.
Besides having breaks of 6 to 8 hours for every 16 hours, another method of intermittent fasting is to reduce the number of calories that you are taking for a few days or weeks and then start taking a normal diet for the same number of days or week to those you restricted. Some nutritionists also suggest fasting for a full day at least two times a week.
How Intermittent Fasting Works?
According to many nutritionists, this method of weight loss really works, but it needs proper adoption. If you want to have effective use of intermittent fasting, then the following mechanisms should be followed strictly.
- Select the method of intermittent fasting to follow.
- Decide how many calories you want per day.
- Make a diet plan.
Methods of Intermittent Fasting
There are four popular methods of intermittent fasting. Warrior diet plan, fasting on alternative days, eat, stop eating, and finally lean gains. This should be kept in mind that once you choose a method, then do not change it after small intervals, instead adopt it for more than a month. In this way, you would be in a better position to gauge the outcome of the method adopted. Let us explain them in the following table
- Warrior Diet Method
What is the diet of a warrior in war days? How much does he eat? Obviously, he eats a very less amount of food just to have sufficient energy. So, in this method, the intermittent fasting person is allowed to eat very less throughout the day. It means other than the time a person sleeps. Eating for such small amounts throughout the day is worth it for shedding weight. This method is almost the same as the stop eat plan.
- Fasting on Alternative Days
In this nutritionist advice to have fast for one whole day and not to fast the following day. Some nutritionists suggest having a break of two or three days after a fasting day.
- Eat Stop Eat
In this method of intermittent fasting, a break of 6 to 8 hours is taken in a total of 16 hours. Another way to do this method is to fast for a whole day at least once a week. The starting time could be any for fasting; you just need to complete 24 hours. It should be kept in mind not fast consecutively. This method of intermittent fasting is exceedingly difficult for those people who had never fasted earlier.
- Lean gain
In all other methods of intermittent fasting, each method involves a sheer amount of break-in eating. But this method takes noticeably short intervals of fasting. It undertakes to fast only for 14 to 16 hours a day. It is usually suggested that males can take 16 hours break while females are supposed to take 14 hours break from having food.
Decide How Much Calories You Want Per Day
Although it considered that while having intermittent fasting methods, there are no restrictions on types of food a person takes, yet calorie count is very important. If you are trying to lose weight, then you definitely need to look at the number of calories. There are numerous instruments accessible to enable an individual to work out their caloric needs and decide what number of calories they have to devour every day to either put on or get in shape. An individual could likewise address their medicinal services supplier or dietitian for direction on what number of calories they need.
Make a Diet Plan
Not all calories are equivalent. Even though these fasting strategies do not set any kind of limitation on what number of calories an individual ought to devour when fasting, it is fundamental to think about the dietary benefit of the food. By and large, an individual should intend to expend supplement healthy food, or food with a high number of supplements per calorie. Although an individual might not need to stop taking unhealthy or junk food completely, they should, in any case, practice control and spotlight on increasingly fortifying choices to pick up the most advantages.
Only Intermittent Fasting is Not Enough
Till now, whatever has been discussed in this article concludes that intermittent fasting will never work until a proper diet plan is not adopted. For this, there is a technique of a ketogenic diet. This person is restricted from taking carbohydrates and allowed to take fats. This method will speed up the process of losing weight. Because this will speed up the process of ketosis in the body. Ketosis is the process in which the body burns fats earlier than carbohydrates and hence leads to weight loss.
How Much Time Is Required to Lose Weight by Using Intermittent Fasting
As it is clear from the discussion that weight loss with the help of intermitting fasting is dependent on several reasons. These factors include the method of intermitting fasting adopted, type of food plan, intervals of breaks taken, initial weight before starting the intermittent fasting, and sustainability of the method adopted. All these factors are responsible for time consumption to lose weight.
It depends upon the intake of calories a person is consuming daily during intermittent fasting. Weight loss is directly proportional to efforts made by the person in cutting down the intake of calories on a consistent basis and burning them; this process and commitment will start losing the weight of a person with immediate effect. This effect can be seen after 2 weeks of consistent efforts. In some cases, the person will start losing weight more in the first 2 weeks, and then the pace of losing weight can get slow. Normally to see a momentous weight loss in body person has to wait for 7 to 10 weeks. In some situations, it has been observed that a person adopting an intermittent fasting method can lose weight from 2 to 3 pounds per week. This should be gauged carefully; if a person's weight is getting pacer than this normal count, then it would not be a good sign. A person losing weight more than 2 to 3 pounds a week must revisit the diet plan, fasting interval, calories count, and method of intermittent fasting.
Other Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
The method of intermittent fasting has many other benefits for the human body. It can not only help in shedding weight, instead has the following significant benefits:
- As there are two types of cholesterol good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. This method of losing weight also helps in increasing the level the good cholesterol in the body, which can minimize the chances of heart diseases. Another chemical triglyceride that is present in the body can also be minimized with the help of intermittent fasting.
- A hormone named as the human hormone can be increased in level with the help of intermittent fasting. As a result, the human body can perform metabolism more efficiently and hence finally leading the weight loss.
- Another good news is for diabetic patients; this method of weight loss can reduce your weight as well as your level of blood sugar.
- Do you want to live long? Then adopt this method of losing weight. Many researchers proposed that this method can increase the life tenure of a person.
- This method of controlling weight also helps in reducing the inflammation indicators in the blood. Hence reducing the chances of getting inflammation.
- Diseases like Alzheimer's can also be cured with the help of this diet plan. Certain research was done on rats, which revealed that intermittent fasting enhances the functionality of the brain.
Potential Side Effects of Intermittent Fasting
Intermittent fasting may show some side effects if not done properly, as stated above. The potential side effects are:
- Intermittent fasting does not only help in reducing weight; rather, it also affects the insulin to work slower in the body that is harmful to the sugar level in the body.
- Intermittent fasting does not work on all the bodies in the same manner. Every person's body reacts differently. For some people, this formula works quickly, but for some, it will take time to show the results. Consequently, this affects mental health.
- People prone to intermittent fasting tends to eat less nutritious food. In the beginning, for some time, they may sense weight loss, but after some time, their bodies weaken due to the less intake of healthy food.
- It can badly affect those women who are pregnant, it can also reduce fertility, blood sugar, especially in women, and in some cases, women's menstrual cycle can be affected due to intermittent fasting.
From all discussion, it can comfortably be concluded that intermittent fasting, which is method of weight loss is effective with proper planning and diet plan. It helps in metabolism, and due to a good metabolism body can burn fat, and hence the weight of the body reduces. Especially with the help of ketosis, which can be achieved by having low carbohydrates and more fats, the process of weight loss can be synergized. Besides of all its advantages, if not adopted properly, it can badly affect the human boy.