Can I take monomin with cod liver oil
Posted by Wen Dan Jiang on
Can I take monomin with cod liver oil?
Can I take monomin with cod liver oil? Both monomin and cod liver oil are enriched in many essential vitamins that are important for our normal body function and metabolism. Monomin is a multi-vitamin syrup that can generally be used with cod liver oil as both of them provide the human body the vitamins it needs.
Researches have shown that monomin supplementation with cod liver oil treated many diseases and proved to be health beneficial. However, it is always appropriate to first consult the physician before its usage with cod liver oil to avoid vitamin toxicity.
In this article, you’ll also find why monomin and cod liver oil is valuable for our body and what other health benefits do they offer?
What is monomin and cod liver oil?
Monomin, a multi-vitamin syrup, is an FDA approved drug administered to patients with known vitamin deficiencies and metabolic defects. It is also available in tablet form nowadays. Regarding its composition, it contains Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin B12 as major active ingredients. All the food we eat is processed through many metabolic pathways before it ends up providing us energy and these vitamins are necessitous for normal body metabolism and growth.
In contrast to monomin, cod liver oil comes from the liver of codfishes as the name implies. It is the best natural source of many vitamins along with omega-3 fatty acids. Having said about vitamins already, omega-3 fatty acids also maintain many physiological functions and may prevent many disorders. Cod liver oil also contains high levels of a compound called eicosapentaenoic acid that helps reduce inflammation and lowers the risk of many cardiovascular problems.
Let us now highlight some health benefits of the above-mentioned substances present in monomin and cod liver oil:
- Vitamin A: important for our sight and helps prevent night-blindness.
- Vitamin D: essential for bone growth and body stature. It is given to persons with low calcium levels and bone disorders.
- Vitamin B1: crucial for proper sugar metabolism and brain functionality. It is given in patients with a metabolic disease called Beri-Beri.
- Vitamin B2: maintains the energy supply of the body and keeps the nerves, muscles, and liver healthy.
- Vitamin B6: promotes brain health and reduces symptoms of depression. Its supplementation causes the reversal of brain problems such as seizures, confusion, and confabulations, etc.
- Vitamin B12: helps maintain healthy brain and nerve functionality. It also is important for proper fetus growth in a pregnant lady. Normally, this is prescribed with vitamin B9 to pregnant women by the physicians.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acid: it is one of the most important prescribed supplements for hypertension patients as it reduces blood cholesterol and prevents the occurrence of heart problems.
- Eicosapentaenoic Acid: prevents blood clot formation and lessens inflammation.
As we have mentioned the health benefits of both the monomin and cod liver oil, let us now jump straight into their usage. For the people with vitamin deficiencies, monomin is prescribed by the doctors and the nutritionists. Cod Liver Oil is advised to patients with heart and brain abnormalities. Speaking of the general population, researches have proved that people do not get ailment with just deficiency of one particular vitamin or fatty acid. They rather come to the physician’s clinic with many substance deficiencies. This is the reason why many patients with metabolic defects, heart abnormalities, and other such maladies are prescribed with monomin along with cod liver oil.
The following is a major list of possible the side-effect one can get by the constituting ingredients of monomin and cod liver oil:
- Skin Rashes
- Stomach problems
- Irregular heartbeat
- High blood pressure
Certain precautions are also necessary before using such supplementations. Inform your doctor prior to your pre-existing abnormalities, certain allergies and present health conditions (e.g., pregnancy, etc.) It is because some dietary supplements may make you more susceptible to other ailments as more of a good thing isn’t always better. Moreover, if you start getting symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, stomach problems, diarrhea, headache, or any sort of rash on the skin, etc., quickly go and see your doctor in order to prevent any serious side-effects.
The Bottom Line
To put all of this into a nutshell, both the monomin and cod liver oil are beneficial for our body health and growth. They not only provide you the essential nutrients you need for your body but also help a lot in the prevention of many serious metabolic disorders. To know about the dosage, the best is by knowing from your doctor. Monomin and cod liver oil might share many attributes, but they have their own particular risks and side-effects as they differ a bit in their composition.
Marleen A.H. Lentjes,1,* Ailsa A. Welch,2 Angela A. Mulligan,1 Robert N. Luben,1 Nicholas J. Wareham,3 and Kay-Tee Khaw4 . 2014 Oct 16. Cod Liver Oil Supplement Consumption and Health: Cross-sectional Results from the EPIC-Norfolk Cohort Study. PMC. 2014 Oct; 6(10): 4320–4337
Monomin Syrup - Uses, Side-effects, Reviews, and Precautions - TabletWise" Tabletwise. Accessed June 11, 2020. https://www.tabletwise.com/nigeria/monomin-syrup