7. oil of oregano dosage for bronchitis
Posted by Wen Dan Jiang on
What Is The Dosage Of Oil Of Oregano For Bronchitis? -
Safe Dose of Oregano Oil
Benefits of Oregano Oil
What is the dosage of oil of oregano for bronchitis? Usually, you can take an average of 200 mg (capsule form) per day for a maximum of 2 to 3 weeks. You should always see the manufacturer advice for direction of use.1
If you are using a commonly available combination of 60% oil of oregano, 20% oil of laurel, 15 % oil of myrtle, and 5 % olive oil, apply it gently to the chest. It is re-applied after 5 to 20 minutes. 2
There are fewer clinical studies available to evaluate the therapeutic dose of oregano. But because it is commonly used in foods, it is considered as GRAS (generally recognized as safe) status by FDA. 1
1. Oil of Oregano- A Brief Introduction
Oil of oregano has been used as a supplement in traditional medicine. It is the extract of leaves of the oregano plant (Origanum vulgare). It has anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral properties.
Oil of oregano has thymol, terpinene, and carvacrol which possess healing potential. It is effective against respiratory problems, flu, and cold. 3
2. The Good of Oil of Oregano
2.1 Antibiotic Properties:
A study conducted to evaluate the effect of oil of oregano in mice infected with Staphylococcus aureus. 43 % of mice were given the oregano oil which showed 50% better survival.4
This points to that the oil of oregano possesses anti-bacterial properties.
2.2 Anti-Oxidant Effects:
Free radicals may have notorious effects on the body and can even lead to cancer. Antioxidants help in detoxification of the effect of the free radicals.
Studies have proven the antioxidants effect of the oregano and placed it at a superior place to 39 herbs, apple, and blueberries. 4, 5
2.3 Anti-Fungal Properties:
Candida is one of the main types of yeast that causes infection in humans.
The effect of the oil of oregano has been studied in the test tubes. The carvacrol component of the oil is found to be effective against candida. It acts against five types of candida. Another experiment confirmed the antifungal activity of oil of oregano against sixteen strains of candida. 6, 7, 8
2.4 Anti- Inflammatory Actions
Inflammation is the main trigger of swelling and pain in the body. It is the body's response against the insult of microbes or physical injury.
Oil of oregano may produce an anti-inflammatory effect too. This has been endorsed by a study done in mice blood. A combination of thyme oil and oregano oil was used. Carvacrol also reduces inflammation. 9, 10
2.5 Good for Gut
The gastrointestinal tract may show plenty of symptoms including pain, bloating, and diarrhea on the invasion of pathogens.
An experiment was done on 14 people, showing intestinal symptoms due to a parasite, were given 600 mg of oil of oregano. The treatment was continued for 6 weeks and 77% of them were completely recovered. 11
2.6 Weight Reduction
One of the components, carvacrol seems to hinder the formation of fat tissue. In a study, mice were given a normal diet, a high in fat, and a high in fat with a carvacrol diet. Mice with the last group showed less weight gain. 12
More research is required to further study the effects of oregano oil on obesity.
3. Is It Safe To Use?
Don’t use if you have any of the following;
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- If you are allergic to basil, sage, mint, or lavender, you may be allergic to oregano as well so don’t take it
- Don’t give to children before talking to the doctor
- If you are feeling any problem using oregano oil e.g. nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, etc
- If you have any bleeding or clotting disorder or using any medications that can change bleeding or clotting process, don’t take oregano oil.3
4. The bottom Line
Oregano oil has been a part of traditional medicine for a long time. It has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. Various other benefits e.g. making your gut healthy, weight reduction, acting as an anti-oxidant make it a must-have in your supplement series.
It helps in relieving symptoms of respiratory problems like bronchitis, flu, and cold. It is available in capsular as well as liquid form. Always follow the manufacturer guidelines for the dose recommendations.
- Oregano- https://www.drugs.com/npp/oregano.html
- Oregano-based therapeutic composition-https://patents.google.com/patent/US6203796B1/en
- Oregano Oil for Cold and Flu: Does It Work?-https://www.healthline.com/health/oregano-oil-for-cold
- Preuss HG, Echard B, Dadgar A, et al. Effects of Essential Oils and Monolaurin on Staphylococcus aureus: In Vitro and In Vivo Studies. Toxicol Mech Methods. 2005;15(4):279-285. doi:10.1080/15376520590968833
- Zheng W, Wang SY. Antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds in selected herbs. J Agric Food Chem. 2001;49(11):5165-5170. doi:10.1021/jf010697n
- Pozzatti P, Scheid LA, Spader TB, Atayde ML, Santurio JM, Alves SH. In vitro activity of essential oils extracted from plants used as spices against fluconazole-resistant and fluconazole-susceptible Candida spp. Can J Microbiol. 2008;54(11):950-956. doi:10.1139/w08-097
- Marcos-Arias C, Eraso E, Madariaga L, Quindós G. In vitro activities of natural products against oral Candida isolates from denture wearers. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2011;11:119. Published 2011 Nov 26. doi:10.1186/1472-6882-11-119
- Cleff, Marlete Brum et al. “In vitro activity of origanum vulgare essential oil against candida species.” Brazilian journal of microbiology : [publication of the Brazilian Society for Microbiology] vol. 41,1 (2010): 116-23. doi:10.1590/S1517-838220100001000018
- Bukovská, Alexandra et al. “Effects of a combination of thyme and oregano essential oils on TNBS-induced colitis in mice.” Mediators of inflammation vol. 2007 (2007): 23296. doi:10.1155/2007/23296
- Silva FV, Guimarães AG, Silva ER, et al. Anti-inflammatory and anti-ulcer activities of carvacrol, a monoterpene present in the essential oil of oregano. J Med Food. 2012;15(11):984-991. doi:10.1089/jmf.2012.0102
- Force M, Sparks WS, Ronzio RA. Inhibition of enteric parasites by emulsified oil of oregano in vivo. Phytother Res. 2000;14(3):213-214. doi:10.1002/(sici)1099-1573(200005)14:3<213::aid-ptr583>3.0.co;2-u
- Cho S, Choi Y, Park S, Park T. Carvacrol prevents diet-induced obesity by modulating gene expressions involved in adipogenesis and inflammation in mice fed with high-fat diet. J Nutr Biochem. 2012;23(2):192-201. doi:10.1016/j.jnutbio.2010.11.016